Nutrition and Physical Activity Coalition
Eat well. Be well.
To engage our community with activity and food through education and support.
In 2016, Healthy Burnett conducted a Community Health Needs Assessment, which helped identify the top three nutrition health needs in Burnett County:
- Inadequate Fruit and Vegetable consumption in Adults
- Food Insecurity
- Farmers’ Market
- Community Nutrition Education and Resources
- Worksite Wellness
- School Wellness and Active Schools (NPAOP and Transform WI Grants)
- School Nutrition
- Gardening Projects
- Food Shelves/Distributions
- Grant writing opportunities/support
- Organized the development of the Burnett County Farmers’ Market which has now expanded to 4 locations in the county.
- Organized the development of the Burnett County Hunger Task Force, which helped to provide awareness about hunger in the county, increased communication between food shelves/organizations, increased awareness about resources available, and ways people could help.
- Developed and implemented a worksite wellness program for Parker Hannifin.
- Developed and distributed a Burnett County Activity Guide, places to go to be active.
- Wrote grants for the Burnett County Farmers’ Market, Webster Elementary School Garden Project, Burnett County Blizzard`s Logo Water Bottles, and County Activity Guide.
- Wrote grant for a community dance, which was held at the Webster School with Ducks for the Oyster Band playing, also had healthy snacks, and face painting activity.
- Worked with Grantsburg School Teacher on nutrition class room project Helped DSI with their worksite wellness program and garden project Active Schools Grant: provided two local schools with education and tool kits to help with implementing Active School Activities.
- Helped Webster School Food Service Director write Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Grant for the Elementary Students, which was approved for the 2012-2013, and again for the 2013-2014 school years.
- Started a Healthcare Professional`s BF Group which meets at least yearly and provides a chance for networking, sharing of information/resources, problem solving about different BF concerns, and to provide BF education.
- Burnett County Family Resource Center
- Burnett County Farmers’ Market/ Burnett County Fresh and Healthy
- Burnett Medical Center Marketing Director
- Ruby`s Food Shelf
- Second Harvest Heartland, FoodShare Outreach
- Siren Anytime Fitness
- Siren/Webster Community Education Director
- St. Croix Regional Medical Center Wellness Coach
- UW-Extension FoodWIse Nutrition Education Program
For more information regarding the Nutrition and Physical Activity Coalition or to get involved, please contact:
Halle Pardun– Marketing Director
Burnett Medical Center
Phone: (715) 463-7285
Fax: (715) 463-7359
Resource: Move More Sit Less Brochure
Don’t know where to exercise? Check out the Move More Sit Less Brochure to find many different places in Burnett County to go and get active with your friends and family!
Resource: Eat Right
EatRight.org is the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals who can provide you with many different resources to eat well.
Resource: My Plate
Resource: Kids Health
Learn how to keep you and your child healthy with the right foods and exercise by visiting the KidsHealth Website. There is an abundance of easy to use resources that can help you feed a picky eater or encourage a child who hates sports to play outside.
Resource: Physical Activity Basics
Resource: Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity Program
The Nutrition and Physical Activity Program provides statewide leadership to decrease overweight and obesity, increase physical activity and improve nutrition. Located in the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, the Program and its partners have developed and are implementing the Wisconsin Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity State Plan to accomplish the overall goal of preventing obesity and chronic disease.