At the farmer’s market, we believe that eating fresh, seasonal food can be a quick and delicious addition to any meal. Health experts and chefs encourage us to enjoy foods grown at the same time of the year we eat them, for example, eat squash in the summer and fall, and asparagus in the spring. More than just a trendy food movement, eating seasonally benefits both your health and your pocketbook.
The best result of eating seasonally is you get the best tasting, healthiest food available. The same reasons that keep the cost of seasonal food down also drive its quality up; the food is grown closer to you so it’s harvested at the peak of its season and brought to market before it begins to tire. This means you get fruits and vegetables that haven’t had time to lose their flavor or their health benefits by sitting in a shipping container for a trip across the ocean.
Here are a few quick and easy ideas to make fresh and seasonal meals with cabbage, zucchini, and spaghetti squash.
- Use a traditional cabbage slaw to provide crunch to a pulled pork sandwich.
- Add a spicy slaw to your wrap or burrito!
- Creamy whole grain mustard slaw can elevate a bratwurst.
- Your Mexican dinners will be a hit with taco zucchini boats.
- Garlic zucchini noodles- who doesn’t like garlic, parmesan and olive oil? Feel free to add your protein of choice.
Spaghetti Squash (you can cook it in the microwave):
- Comforting spaghetti squash and meatballs.
- Creamy spaghetti squash alfredo.
- Spaghetti squash with pesto and pine nuts for a taste of summer.
Give it a try! You’re sure to discover something you and your family will enjoy. Over the upcoming growing season, the Burnett County Farmer’s Market in Siren will offer samples of healthy, seasonal foods. We’ll share the recipes and post them on our Facebook page. Come visit us Saturdays, Tesora parking lot, 1:00-3:00 pm!
Submitted by: Susan Armstrong, Burnett County Fresh & Healthy Inc.
“Healthy Minute” is brought to you by healthyburnett.org