Mental Health First Aid is an internationally recognized evidence-based program that was created and is managed by the National Council for Behavioral Health. It is an eight-hour class that helps you identify, understand, and respond to signs of addiction and mental illnesses. You learn by engaging in the materials and relating what you learn to real-life situations. Role-playing, group discussions, and exercises keep you engaged and allow you to practice helping skills.
WHY TAKE MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID?
- To be prepared: Just as you learn CPR, learn how to help in a mental health crisis
- Mental illnesses are common: 1 in 5 adults in any given year
- You care: be there for a friend, family member, or colleague
- You can help: people with mental illnesses often suffer alone
In the Mental Health First Aid training, you will learn:
- Risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns
- Strategies for how to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations
- Where to turn for help
- Non-judgmental communication and listening skills
- A 5-step action plan to help someone developing signs and symptoms of a mental illness or in an emotional crisis
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is for anyone who wants to learn how to provide initial help to someone who may be experiencing symptoms of mental illness or in crisis. The course gives people tools to help friends, family members, colleagues, or others in their community.
- College/university leaders
- Educators/school administrators
- Human resource professionals
- Nurses/physician assistants/primary care workers
- Public safety personnel
- Members of faith communities
- Social services staff and volunteers
- Substance abuse professionals
- Social workers
To see the training schedule, click on the following link: https://www.unitedwaystcroix.org/mental-health-first-aid-trainings-registering-now
If you need a list of providers in Burnett County for mental health services, go to http://www.burnettcounty.com/DocumentCenter/View/3203
Provided by: the United Way
“Healthy Minute” is brought to you by healthyburnett.org